[opendtv] Re: "we'll forever be stuck with by going ATSC"

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:49:36 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > In the US, we already have HD as a normal service,
> > available to all receiving devices that can make use
> > of it, or dumbed down by receiving devices that don't
> > need the full quality level. And HD or ED sets are
> > appearing on store shelves in great quantity, at
> > amazingly low prices ($500 level for ED sets minus
> > digital tuner).
>
> Despite all of what you just said, hardly ANYONE is
> buying this vision of DTV.
>
> The vast majority of HD owners are subscribing to cable
> and DBS services as I stated correctly in the previous
> statement.

Once again: as long as analog service continues, and/or
as long as broadcasters don't offer a compelling DTT
package to make people migrate, there's no strong
incentive for folks to shift. But when NTSC is shut off,
there will be, and what I described above will be what
happens.

As of now, although I don't have the numbers, I suspect
that the very *vast* majority of ATSC users are HDTV
users. *Because* that is what differentiates ATSC from
NTSC, as of today, for the most part.

> > In all DVB-T countries so far, HD will, for the
> > forseeable future, have to be an added tier service.
>
> As it is today with digital cable and DBS in the U.S.

Which shows that the ATSC had more foresight than any
of these other alternatives. So what was your point?

> > In the US, we have (and will have increasingly)
> > low-cost receivers that can decode HD content. These
> > are in part low cost because they are sold in large
> > quantities.
>
> Do you have any facts to support this statement.

Can you point to a single other example of HDTV STB that
costs $176 to consumers? From any country? Or built-in
receiver HDTV chipset that costs $37 to the OEM?

These low prices are only the result of large quantities
either now or soon to be expected.

> Screens smaller than 36" will continue to dominate the
> market for decades, if not forever.  If you want to
> call these HD displays feel free.

Obviously. Anything 1 Mpel or greater, in a TV display,
is HDTV by definition. What deterimines HD is the
resolution of the display. Size and viewing distances
are only incidentals.

I can choose to view a 36" HDTV display at a distance
of 3 picture heights, and have a great HDTV
"experience," as you put it.