[opendtv] Re: VP8 Codec Open Sourced

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 19:34:44 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Too bad there is no 8x8 block mode since H264
> tried without that and eventually had to add it
> for HDTV detail.

And what about no B-frames? I find both of those omissions to be killers, and
the fact that apparently Google is not open to changing this state of affairs.
I can appreciate the worry about patent infringement. However, if something is
made worse by such worries (worse in terms of compression efficiency), let's
not pretend it is better with claims of 50 percent improvement.

This is not an advancement in coding efficiency, only POTENTIALLY something
that may (who knows) remain royalty-free.

The analysis Ron posted was quite good, IMO. And one indication is how the
analysis compares the DCT with the integer transform of H.264. They passed with
flying colors, IMO. Free of the uninformed hype that suggests any new name for
a transform MUST mean a more efficient transform that what came before.