[opendtv] Re: News: YouTube's 2 billion daily viewership beats primetime audience of top US TV networks

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 16:10:22 -0700

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Albert Manfredi
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "What is even more noteworthy about YouTube viewership is that the site
> boasts viewers from all round the world, while the viewership of the
> television networks is restricted to the US alone."
>
> That's pure nonsense. Prime time shows from the major US TV networks are, in
> fact, viewed all over the world. NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox prime time shows are the
> staple diet for a whole lot of TV networks in a whole lot of countries. And
> have been so for decades, certainly as long as I've been alive.

Not true. The rest of the world often does not get the shows outright
due to censorship/'local' competition, gets them up to a year or more
later due to dubbing issues, or even longer due to cost.

Youtube, on the other hand, barring local country-based
firewalls/censorship, is instant.

Cheers
Kon