[opendtv] Re: News: YouTube's 2 billion daily viewership beats primetime audience of top US TV networks

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 18:53:22 -0700

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Well, yes they can. They call these technological advances cookies,
>> sessions, UUIDs and local client-side data. As a CDN, this is how we
>> accurately bill clients for viewership data consumption. Without it,
>> we would have no business.

So to be clear before starting, Bert contends that at best only a
unique at-best local nat address can be used to identify a viewer.
That's categorically incorrect. The advertising, I could care less
about. And there are ample ways of ignoring/blocking that to make it
moot from the get-go. But when it comes to bandwidth accounting,
that's not a problem.

> I cannot recall any ad placed around or near the YouTube screen on my PC,
> nor their content, if any. They might have been there but I didn't take
> notice of them at all. In fact I ignore them totally and block their content
> out of my mind.

So if you haven't seen it, it doesn't exist? Gotcha. Back in reality,
it depends on what Youtube content you are watching. I take it you
have not seen any ads embedded inside the Youtube player like Adap.TV,
etc.'s stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkAEA5LYX2w&feature=related

> Yet another example of the emperor's new clothes, or the false belief that
> 'saying it is so makes it so'.

Maybe you should read the context, next time?

Cheers
Kon