[opendtv] Re: Uruguay adopts DVB-T and DVB-H

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 16:40:43 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Then I misunderstood Olivier when he referred to "the document"
> when asking about 1080@60p, and his email quoted Jonas' link to
> the Brazilian .pdf of a powerpoint presentation as the 'document.'

If you look at that .pdf, slide 32, all it says is:

http://www.icmc.usp.br/~verao/MCEC/material/tvdigital.pdf

"Adoption of HDTV 1080p on the Brazilian DTV system."

> In that .pdf outlining the Brazilian system, it says Brazil will
> use H.264 exclusively for all video, SD and HD, for their DTTB. I
> mistakenly thought Olivier was asking if Brazil would use 1080@60p.

You are right about Olivier asking that:

> Olivier Houot wrote:
>
> The document says 1080p will be used for HDTV. Is that 1080p@24
> only, or up to 1080p@60 ?

However, assuming that just because they go to AVC for SD and HD must
mean that 1080 is at 60p is what is in doubt. Best I can tell from other
sites, that's not going to be 1080 at 60p, but something less than that.
The HDTV mentioned never seems to go beyond 1080i, in the other multiple
sites I browsed. (Could be wrong, of course, but I was curious too.)

Another odd thing. I noticed in the above .pdf and in other sites that
the Brazilians consider 720 linhas to be EDTV (slide 19). I even saw
reference to 720i as EDTV in another site. Which I assumed was a
mistake.