[opendtv] Re: UK DTV: 250,000 STBs a month

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:23:12 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Terry,
>
> I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one.  If
> 8-VSB worked as well as COFDM in 1999, there would
> have been much more promotion of digital television
> by both the broadcasters and the consumer equipment
> manufacturers.  There would have been many more
> manufacturers getting into the business (ala the
> vast number of box makers for the U.K. and Australian
> markets), and prices would have come down as a result
> of said competition.
>
> Only now, in fourth quarter 2004, and only with the
> Zenith 5th generation chip that is not yet on the
> market, do both broadcasters and manufacturers have
> the ability to actually believe that they can promote
> and recommend a viable product.
>
> We would have been 5 years ahead of where we are now
> if we either went COFDM in 1999 or if 8-VSB worked
> properly from the start

John, you could very well have a point. Fortunately, we
will soon see if you do or not. Now, or by Christmas
anyway, would be the time for broadcasters to start
promoting their DTT heavily. And the most interesting
part of this is that if the 2007 deadline sticks, as it
very well might, we will still have more transition
time left than Berlin had.

I'll be very interested to see whether DTT promotion
will begin. More than just showing the banner "simulcast
in HDTV" at the beginning of shows, that is.