[opendtv] Re: UK DTV: 250,000 STBs a month

  • From: dmenolan <dmenolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV list <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:22:32 -0400

I could not agree more with JS. =

And there are several other factors to consider as well:

a) As a result of the success of the DVB-T system the economies of scale =
and scope fell into place. It became very easy for other countries to fol=
low suit which creates a domino effect.

b) A fortune was spent on COFDM R+D: impulse noise cancelling chips, dive=
rsity reception, optimised mobile receivers etc etc

c) Systems integration is much better in the DVB-T system: operational EP=
Gs, CA systems, satellite and cable, interactive services.Etc, etc...

d) PVR DTT STBs are now on sale for UK =A3200: fundamentally changing the=
 OTA TV paradigm

e) The next step will be combo DTT/DSL STB's next year because most of th=
e circuitry is common between COFDM and multitone DSL (see Alcatel et al)=
: OTA + VOD all in one footprint

f) The ISDB-T system has never broken out of the Japanese market because =
it lacked the scale economies, level of system integration, and internati=
onal acceptance which DVB-T acquired. Brazil nota bene.

g) The DVB-H system, essentially an advanced combo version of DVB-T and I=
SDB-T shrinkwrapped for handhelds, marks the next logical step in the evo=
lution of wireless digital transmission: Personal DTV anywhere and this w=
ill turn the business models for OTA broadcasting upside down, particular=
ly in Europe and Asia where cellular penetration, applications and usage =
are very high.

The next interesting development in DTT is likely to be in France: there =
the Government plans to launch MPEG4 DVB-T including HDTV and DVB-H next =
year: HDTV with advanced codecs and a national allotment for a DVB-H syst=
em. Those who come late to the game can cash in on the latest development=
s. As ever.

With 20:20 hindsight it is now clear that modulation *DID* matter: the ke=
y to a reliable DTV service is high QoS which is core to underpin any bus=
iness model. ATSC could not provide indoor reception until 2004, DVB-T ha=
d to fix its impulse noise problem (two years ago), ISDB-T failed to clos=
e any additional sales, Taiwan defected from ATSC to DVB-T, not ISDB-T, a=
ll of which really left the field to DVB-T
and DVB-H provides 15Mb/s in the mobile channel and is spectrally/power/e=
conomically more efficient than DMB or ISDB-T.

The other telling comment is the recent one from Frank about the comparat=
ive cost of COFDM vs 8VSB for silicon and power consumption which riposte=
d Bert's flakey arguments about Moore's law quite nicely. The wheel did t=
urn full circle compared with the US expectations in the mid-1990s: COFDM=
 worked first. The rest is interesting television history.

Anybody thinking about deploying DTT systems now should have a) MPEG4 b)C=
OFDM c) a high bandwidth mobile option optimised for low power terminals.=
 This is where the future lies.

Kind regards,

Dermot Nolan

From:   INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:     , INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        =

Date:   22/10/104 14:00 PM

RE:     [opendtv] Re: UK DTV: 250,000 STBs a month

 =

Terry,

I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one.  If 8-VSB worked as well =
as =

COFDM in 1999, there would have been much more promotion of digital =

television by both the broadcasters and the consumer equipment =

manufacturers.  There would have been many more manufacturers getting int=
o =

the business (ala the vast number of box makers for the U.K. and Australi=
an =

markets), and prices would have come down as a result of said competition=
.

Only now, in fourth quarter 2004, and only with the Zenith 5th generation=
 =

chip that is not yet on the market, do both broadcasters and manufacturer=
s =

have the ability to actually believe that they can promote and recommend =
a =

viable product.

We would have been 5 years ahead of where we are now if we either went CO=
FDM =

in 1999 or if 8-VSB worked properly from the start.

John Shutt

Sender: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>