[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)2004April20

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:20:14 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> But I too remain skeptical.  Show me indoor tests of a production
> model ATSC receiver actually tested indoors with antennas meant to be
> used indoors.

There have been several such tests already, although not very
recently.

One very well documented one was the Hong Kong test in 2000. Even
way back then, they did real indoor testing as well as outdoors
in the street, and got surprisingly good results with ATSC.

Another real indoor test was done by the CRC in Ottawa, in early
2002. They also got surprisingly good results. These were carefully
planned tests. I too would love to see more such carefully planned
and carefully conducted comparison tests between 8-VSB and COFDM,
but the truth is, they must be very expensive to run.

> I'm concerned
> with the fact that they still appear to be desperately playing
> catch-up to many of the other technologies, even after so many years
> of trying.

Glass half full, glass half empty. The way I see it, we *HAVE* 8-VSB.
It's time to stop whining about it. The fact that a couple of
companies are playing a game of desperate catch-up is *wonderful*
news, not bad news. The fact that they are getting encouraging
results is even better news. The fact that there are still more
things they can try (diversity antennas, better training, better
FEC) is also encouraging.

> ATSC will need functioning indoor antennas to succeed.

I could not agree more with you. It must work indoors. Indoor
receptionThat has been the focus of *all* ATSC tests for years now,
even if the tests fudge a little and use low elevation dipoles
outdoors.