[opendtv] Re: Supply chain agrees switchover measures

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:37:57 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Various versions of the DVB standard are in use in 35 countries -
> they claim more than 120 millions receivers deployed. It is quite
> easy for manufacturers to offer products in all of these
> countries because of the ease with which local versions can be
> created and the volume/scale of the market.

Well, as we discussed previously, it's almost as easy to include ATSC in
the mix. The differences are small and limited really to the demod
module only. Tuners and decoders can be, and are in fact, universal, and
the software required can quite easily accommodate all standards in one
package.

> Its not a brainwashed public, but rather brainwashed politicians
> and regulators at every level of government in the U.S. that
> have created and perpetuated the cable oligopoly.

Just to be clear, then, since I think everything is being painted with
too broad a brush:

The FCC mandates, coupled with the FCC-encouraged "agreements" between
cable systems and CE manufacturers, DO NOT fit in your description.
These two items, championed by Michael Powell, were meant to counter the
"brainwashed politician and regulators" you mention. But you sure can't
tell that from the knee-jerk rhetoric we all saw in response, eh?