[opendtv] Re: Supply chain agrees switchover measures

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:48:43 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> And why would any CE manufacturer build a multi-standard
> receiver? Please explain the market demand.

We've been over this more thasn once. For the same reason that CE
manufacturers willingly modified their designs, e.g. added VHF to DVB-T
receivers, in order to make them available to the German market. In
spite of the fact that use of OTA TV in Germany was something like 9
percent of households.

Unless the manufacturers are in bed with someone, they do things like
this to stimulate demand. If it costs them little, I don't see any
reason NOT to offer products.

Sure enough, no question about it, if you don't offer and don't
advertize products, the market will not materialize. Everybody knows by
now, I think, that in most large markets the demand for new products is
CREATED, even if there was no perceived "need" for the product
previously.