[opendtv] Re: Supply chain agrees switchover measures

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:52:22 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

Region-by-region digital switchover?  What a novel idea...

Some countries, although not nearly as large as this one, seem to have accomplished the switchover okay without going region by region. I expected that in practice, region by region is how it would have occurred here as well. And who knows, it still might, although it seems less likely as time passes by.

But what seemed FAR more novel to me was the notion that as analog shutoff drew closer, consumers were actually going to be able to find products on the shelf. Imagine, for example, being able to buy a PVR or DVDR that works with the digital signal, instead of being given no options, and having retailers and even CE vendors claim that really really, "consumers prefer" to go to a sole-source provider and pay for such mundane technology on a monthly basis.

And all of this with no loud claims (as we got here even by some OTA broadcasters!) that some big, bad FCC is "forcing it down" the throats of consumers. How novel a concept, that having product available on store shelves is not attributed solely to govt overstepping its authority!