[opendtv] Re: Study Shows IPTV Gaining Ground

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:07:14 -0700

Are you saying GoogleTV is misusing the internet?  I always thought Google
had more of a philosophy of openness and sharing.  But perhaps I'm wrong.
I imagine the only need for the closed, proprietary systems is because of
certain patents and the content provider's desire to make money from their
programming without letting the world share it.

(But lately, I heard through a reliable source that Google has taken on
some unjust projects in foreign lands just for the money.)

Personally, while I like the idea of an internet connection in the display,
if it requires closed-in systems and content negotiations, I would rather
they be in the STB than in the display.  I would rather swap out a set-top
box than have to buy a new display every time I wanted to go to an new
content provider.

Dan

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:32:18 -0500
Subject: [opendtv] Study Shows IPTV Gaining Ground

Initially, I thought that "IPTV" was starting to mean any
Internet-connected TV, these days. But then I got to this part:

"'It has been a long, challenging journey so far, especially with new
competitors like Google TV joining the battle,' said Gray. 'Set makers will
have to acquire new skills such as negotiating content deals in order to
succeed.'"

It's obvious to me. Misuse a medium, and the solution becomes difficult.
These guys are misusing the Internet. Simple as that. Google is trying to
re-create the proprietary set-top box MVPD model for Internet appliances.
And the worst part is, clueless consumers will let them get away with it.

Bert