[opendtv] Re: Study Shows IPTV Gaining Ground

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:09:42 -0400

It is exactly the same dynamic that allowed radios and TVs to be unwalled originally, and then people got lured into walled gardens in later distribution models.

Exactly when were radios and TVs unwalled?

The devices were built to specific hardware standards, but the government tightly controlled who could get a license to deliver content to them.

During The Golden Age of Television (1940 - 1961) most consumers had three programming choices (there were a few independent stations in major markets like New York). Three networks decided what we could see and hear...

No walls there!

P.S. I'm not a fan of the way the MVPDs bundle the most desirable content. But there are many more producers and much more choice today than when TV was "unwalled."