[opendtv] Re: Study Shows IPTV Gaining Ground

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:46:51 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You are still avoiding the real issue here. It is not that the Internet
> cannot be used "properly." The problem is that the content owners WANT to
> wall in their content to protect their lucrative MVPD distribution model.

For some reason, we keep getting back to this same point, time after time.

It's obvious that MVPDs *want* to keep using their proprietary STBs. It's
obvious that content owners *want* to collude with CE vendors, to further their
interests.

Why do you assume that consumers must cave in?

Why do you think it's irrelevant that the PC industry COULD have developed the
same way? It's not irrelevant. It is exactly the same dynamic that allowed
radios and TVs to be unwalled originally, and then people got lured into walled
gardens in later distribution models. The same could happen to PCs and ISPs.

It's up to the consumer to get a backbone, for heaven's sake. All you do is
tell me what the industry moguls prefer, as if to justify why it must go this
way.