[opendtv] Re: Six years on

  • From: dmenolan <dmenolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:27:55 -0400

There is a complete one page article in today's FT about HDTV: they do no=
mention terrestrial digital HDTV AT ALL  ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD and instea=
focus on its ARPU leverage to cable and satellite pay-tv providers. To me=

that has long been a no brainer. And they quote the Leichtman Research
Group in the US which found that just 2% of households with annual income=
of less than $75K had HDTV compared with 12% of wealthier homes: another
case of the middle class taxbreak he said with a whimsical smile?

As to legacy format preservation which is the more efficient to transmit
HDTV: 1080i/MPEG2/8VSB or 720P/MPEG4/DVB-S2? I think I know the answer an=
I gather Mr M's DirecTV has just ordered those MPEG4 boxes for the US...

Kind Regards,

Dermot Nolan