[opendtv] Re: Six years on

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:17:04 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> The fact that the receivers work plug and play is also
> a cost point. The "cost" of frustration with poor
> reception or the hassle factor may be the biggest cost
> component of 8-VSB's failure in the US.

I certainly wouldn't rule that out as one component. But
it's not clear that it's the primary component.

> At the same sales rate being experienced in the UK the
> US would have 36 million COFDM receivers sold over just
> the last two years.

The question is, why is the UK different from Germany?
Why did the Berlin OTA viewers wait until their OTA analog
options died before going to DTT?

One factor might be the usage of cable in Germany and in
the US. People who really want the greater choice had
already migrated to cable. Perhaps not true in the UK.

Also, what's the percentage of HDTV DBS subscribers who
get most or all of their HDTV via ATSC today?