[opendtv] Re: Satellite radio

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:47:23 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> When I was growing up we were encouraged to record music from
> radio. The industry understood that sharing popular music was
> the most potent form of promotion, that caused consumer to buy
> their products. Now they want to use radio to deliver paid
> downloads of the same music.
>
> This is not surprising. It's just the natural progression with
> monopolies and oligopolies.

Don't think that's the case. Those big companies already existed when we
were kids.

The problem is that people don't buy albums as much nowadays. The music
industry has to make money in other ways. As long as satellite radio has
a lot of music selections, and the music channels are ad-free, that will
become the primary medium for some people. Instead of buying albums and
even instead of buying individual downloads.

I just don't see how satellite radio can sustain that model, though, so
I'm expecting that to change. US businesses are obsessed with growth.
Once you've saturated the population, you have to increase the revenues
by other means. Ads will be on the rise in satellite radio, I'll bet
you.