[opendtv] Re: Satellite radio

  • From: Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:26:39 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Not in my neighborhood. I use XM radio mostly in my
> bedroom with a home kit, and with a belt pack adapter
> for mowing the lawn and other outdoor chores. There
> are no TRs in the Greater Lansing Area, and when I put
> it in the car for our semiannual treks to Florida to visit
> relatives, about the only place I hit with TRs is Atlanta.

In short, if you have LOS to at least one of the satellites, you get reception.
If not, you need a repeater. The repeater can be a small home kit one or one
supplied externally by XM.

Outdoors, if you have mostly coverage from the satellites, then the repeaters,
if any, can be like gap fillers. Meaning, they only supply coverage over small
areas, surrounded by satellite coverage. Just like gap fillers with OTA big
sticks.

Instead, in places such as NYC, where satellite coverage is sparse, the
repeaters might have to be arranged in a real SFN, where you need to worry
about mutual interference between repeaters, and therefore have to deploy a
dense mesh. But they still have the advantage of the ultimate "big stick" (i.e.
the satellites) to provide the necessary coverage outside the dense mesh.
Compare this with, say, Qualcomm's scheme to be deployed between DC and NYC,
where outside the dense mesh you quickly lose coverage.

> I'm very happy with the performance of XM via satellite.
> In fact, given the closeness I am to a certain FM
> transmitter, I am much happier than I am with OTA FM
> at my house.

I'm very satisfied with HD Radio, especially now that some stations, like WAMU,
have started making excellent use of their subchannels. If only more than just
BMW would install it as factory equipment in cars. I found out the GM, for
instance, invested heavily in XM Radio. What are the chances GM will install
factory HD Radio sets anytime soon? (In fairness, at their current power
levels, HD Radio might not work so well in cars anyway.)