[opendtv] Re: Samsung Rep admits HDMI won't support 1080p until v.1.3

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:01:25 -0500

At 9:28 AM -0500 11/10/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>  > Cost is not the issue. The issue is whether you will see any
>  > additional benefit from a 1080@60P display, and what impact it will
>  > have on the delivered image quality. That is, will it look better, or
>  > worse because there is not enough bandwidth to compress all of the
>  > potential detail.
>  >

>Bandwidth is mostly (except maybe HDMI) the issue because we are talking
>   display format here, not transmission format.

NO. I am talking about transmission bandwidth. If you are only
talking about the display, then you must be assuming that all sources
will be upconverted to 1920 x 1080@60P for display.

But you have been talking about receiver 1080@60P content, and that
requires some form of distribution.

>  > I think you need to actually experience what it is like to sit 9 feet
>  > from a screen that is four feet high. For one thing, this is well
>  > inside the designed viewing distance of 3.3 picture heights (i.e.
>  > 13.2 feet). You would most likely see the rater at 9 feet, and would
>  > probably be uncomfortable watching at this distance. IF you want to
>  > experience this, sit in the first row of the theater, the next time
>  > you go to the local cinema.
>
>If I want to experience this I can reach out from where I sit and move
>the zoom control.  Yes, I can see the raster but that just makes the
>point I'd need a higher rez display if I wanted it at 4 feet high and
>this seating distance.

I think you are still missing the point. This is a psychovisual
issue. It makes people uncomfortable. Try it in a theater.

>  >>> And MPEG-2 is already outdated. You will never deliver decent quality
>  >>> 1920 x 1080@60P via a 19.3 MBps ATSC channel, unless the camera is
>  >> > out of focus.
>  >>
>  >>Oxymoronic, but also true I guess. ;-)
>  >
>  > No oxymoron here.
>
>Sorry but "high quality out of focus picture" does seem humorously
>oxymoronic to me.  (some artistic license excluded)

I was not understanding your meaning. I do see the humor now.