[opendtv] Re: Samsung Rep admits HDMI won't support 1080p until v.1.3

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:28:24 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > Cost is not the issue. The issue is whether you will see any
 > additional benefit from a 1080@60P display, and what impact it will
 > have on the delivered image quality. That is, will it look better, or
 > worse because there is not enough bandwidth to compress all of the
 > potential detail.

Bandwidth is mostly (except maybe HDMI) the issue because we are talking
  display format here, not transmission format.

 > I think you need to actually experience what it is like to sit 9 feet
 > from a screen that is four feet high. For one thing, this is well
 > inside the designed viewing distance of 3.3 picture heights (i.e.
 > 13.2 feet). You would most likely see the rater at 9 feet, and would
 > probably be uncomfortable watching at this distance. IF you want to
 > experience this, sit in the first row of the theater, the next time
 > you go to the local cinema.

If I want to experience this I can reach out from where I sit and move
the zoom control.  Yes, I can see the raster but that just makes the
point I'd need a higher rez display if I wanted it at 4 feet high and
this seating distance.

 >>> And MPEG-2 is already outdated. You will never deliver decent quality
 >>> 1920 x 1080@60P via a 19.3 MBps ATSC channel, unless the camera is
 >> > out of focus.
 >>
 >>Oxymoronic, but also true I guess. ;-)
 >
 > No oxymoron here.

Sorry but "high quality out of focus picture" does seem humorously
oxymoronic to me.  (some artistic license excluded)

- Tom