[opendtv] Re: Samsung Rep admits HDMI won't support 1080p until v.1.3

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:30:08 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > This is one of the reasons that we pushed for lower spatial / higher
 > temporal rate formats for DTV broadcasting. You can distribute
 > spectacular pictures by encoding about 1/2 million pixels - e.g. 1024
 > x 576@ 60P. You can still acquire the source at 1280 x 720@60P, then
 > simply re-sample prior to compression for emission.

Craig -

Curiously I've had a chance to test this assertion in the last couple
days.  Over the weekend I bought a $900 XGA front projector at CostCo to
replace my dying RPTV.  This is a DLP with a 4:3 1024x768 native
resolution.  Since it automatically switches to 16:9 with an HD signal
that means it's really using a 1024x576 (wide-PAL) resolution for movies.

Now everyone on this list has probably heard my laments that very few
broadcast shows seem to have an effective resolution much more than this
anyway.  And since I equally will use this projector as an easy-eye
computer monitor it seemed an economical choice.

It has been so far.

I'm currently projecting on a white wall about 9-10' from my eyes,
watching an image about 3' high (when 16:9) so I'm about 3 screen
heights away.  And I don't notice any loss of detail compared to my
previous 1080i RPTV.  However I'm just on the edge of being able to see
the pixel structure at that distance.  For instance in computer mode as
I type this I can see the slight jagginess of the computer fonts.  But
for HD video images that is much harder.

However when I first set it up I had the projector set back a bit
further because it was temporarily convenient.  That made the image
about 10-20% larger, probably just over the size/distance threshold
where I could pretend it was pixel free.  For my vision and seating
distance I would personally need a bit more display resolution if I
wanted to keep a 4' high 16:9 image.

I'm not sure whether that would also mean a higher transmission
resolution for current HD broadcast.  But I am certain sure I'd need it
if I was really watching full resolution 1080p, say with possible new
HD/DVD's of some flavor.

I also notice with the very large screen size that I do NOT want a full
field of vision for web browsing.  It makes me more aware of why reading
a magazine with separate narrower columns seems easier, not zooming my
eyes back and forth across 80 some inches of wall to read each line.
Luckily Windows can make windows where this is needed.

All in all I'm pretty happy here, and do still tend to believe that 576p
can indeed match most current HD as a delivery format, even if I know we
could theoretically do better.

- Tom (who still expects to buy a 1080p display when it's priced right)