[opendtv] Re: Parenthetically

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:52:44 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> For all the silly talk about how difficult ATSC is, my wife and I
>> agree that getting radio and TV over the Internet is far more
>> temperamental.
>>
>> And by the way, unlike digital radio or TV, the problems with
>> online streaming are not as easily fixed on a permanent basis.
>> Why? Because the sources are forever messing around with their
>> feeds, changing their servers, changing their players, changing
>> their compression algorithms. [ ... ]
>
> Funny how some people view a huge benefit as a problem.

Funny how some people change their opinions based on the hype du jour.

Once upon a time, the only systems worth considering were those that "just
worked." Remember? "It just works." But now, you're supposed to be excited
about systems that very often don't work.

> If I have a good WiFi link I can stream ALL KINDS of TV content
> in real time today with NO quality problems.

Nonsense.

Try viewing the BBC WHYS program, which is often streamed on YouTube. You will
see examples of lip sync problems that extend to minutes.

Try viewing TF1 news. Between segments, you will often see that the video
freezes, while the audio continues.

Try catching up on ABC shows, going to the ABC web site. If you do this
occasionally, I can guarantee that the service will not work unless you
download a new plug-in of some sort.

All of this has nothing to do with the specific L2 or L3 service you use to log
onto those servers. It has to do with changes being introduced independently,
by each service, or by the ISPs themselves. WiFi, Ethernet, DOCSIS, none of
those schemes are causing these problems.