[opendtv] Parenthetically

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:51:28 -0600

... , yet another lunch ruined by a fitful streaming media feed from the BBC.
If only I had my portable HD Radio receiver with me, I'd tune to WAMU-3 instead.

For all the silly talk about how difficult ATSC is, my wife and I agree that
getting radio and TV over the Internet is far more temperamental.

And by the way, unlike digital radio or TV, the problems with online streaming
are not as easily fixed on a permanent basis. Why? Because the sources are
forever messing around with their feeds, changing their servers, changing their
players, changing their compression algorithms. And if that isn't bad enough,
virus software and firewalls at the ISPs also conspire to screw things up, on
an ongoing basis. You think you've fixed the problem today? Wait for tomorrow.