[opendtv] Re: Parenthetically

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:10:42 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> ... , yet another lunch ruined by a fitful streaming media feed from the BBC.
> If only I had my portable HD Radio receiver with me, I'd tune to WAMU-3
> instead.
>
> For all the silly talk about how difficult ATSC is, my wife and I agree that
> getting radio and TV over the Internet is far more temperamental.
>
> And by the way, unlike digital radio or TV, the problems with online
> streaming are not as easily fixed on a permanent basis. Why? Because the
> sources are forever messing around with their feeds, changing their servers,
> changing their players, changing their compression algorithms. And if that
> isn't bad enough, virus software and firewalls at the ISPs also conspire to
> screw things up, on an ongoing basis. You think you've fixed the problem
> today? Wait for tomorrow.
>
> Bert

Yes!  It is said that Internet time moves more rapidly than time in some
other dimensions.   That of course means things can change  faster and
it can use technology from only a few months ago instead of  from a
previous decade or two.

But busted stuff can also be fixed faster since it is mostly in software
at both ends.

And no CECB's are needed.  ;-)

- Tom