[opendtv] Overscanning on LCD TVs

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:36:43 -0800

We have a large amount of consumer grade Sony Bravia televisions in our
facility.  It appears that all of them overscan the picture, despite
setting "overscan" to normal in the menu.  Adjusting overscan to 1 or 2
makes it even worse.  The only sources I have been able to confirm are on
the HDMI inputs and often using HD-SDI to HDMI converters but I have also
seen it with DVI sources.  I plan to test with BD as well.

So my question is, is overscanning typical with consumer TVs?  I thought
that it that current LCD TV's used all 1920x1080 pixels.

I should also probably note that most of the signals are 720P.

Because of a deal with Sony, I don't have too many other display
manufacturers to test up against, thus the question to the display experts
here.

Dan Grimes