[opendtv] Re: Overscanning on LCD TVs

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:40:15 -0500

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> "Such problem is hard to debug if you don't have an HDMI analyzer at
> hand." - Jeroen
>
> I was under the impression that HDMI and DVI use the same standard and are
> electronically equivalent.  Of course, just because the signals mate
> doesn't mean the color space is the same.
>
> So any suggestions what one might use to analyze or discover the color
> spaces of an HDMI and DVI-D signal?  The same question might be had for
> HD-SDI.  I have a Phabrix analyzer and need to dive into it a little more
> to see what information I can extract.  The device is fairly
> sophisticated.
>
> We are converting between HDMI, DVI and HD-SDI to use different types and
> levels of equipment.  It is impossible to use just one standard these
> days.  But in the conversion, things get messed up and I am experiencing
> this.  I would like to be able to straighten it out.
>
> Dan

I don't know if it was true but I was once told that in lack of any
other info most digital TV's will assume a 480i signal is BT601 but any
higher rez is BT709.  I do know that a few years ago I analyzed captured
transport streams from some of my digital TV stations for 2 different
cities to see if any contained the optional ATSC/MPEG-2 color space
descriptor fields, and none did.  It might be different now.

Dunno if that makes a standard. ;-)

- Tom