[opendtv] Re: Overscanning on LCD TVs

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:26:31 -0000

Overscan was inevitable on early crt displays, simply because it was impossible
to make stable power supplies. As a result, the broadcasters have had to
accommodate overscan and make pictures to a 'safe' size.

Now that pixel-based displays are ubiquitous, if not in every home yet, there
is no need for overscan at all. Many recent displays allow overscan to be
turned off (my Panasonic 42PZ81 does) and so I get pixel-mapped 1920x1080
pictures off-air and via HDMI.

the biggest problem is that the display manufacturers still seem to think that
overscan is wanted, and so go out of their way to implement it. I had a long
argument with Philips some years ago over this, they wanted the broadcasters to
tell them what the level of overscan should be, and we said that we allowed for
what they did. There was no resolution, but at least Panasonic have taken
notice now.

The size of overscan is not defined in any standard. That's why you see such
wild variations in overscan. A BBC survey of consumer displays some years ago
concluded that displays were then overscanning by about 2.5 to 3.5% on each
edge. that figure will now have changed a little, since many of the better,
newer displays allow the user to turn it off.

Alan Roberts