[opendtv] Re: Opinion: Putting A Price Tag On TV Spectrum

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:09:49 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> The spectrum used by TV, especialy now that the 700 and
>> 800 MHz bands have been given up, is hardly ideal for
>> mobile two-way devices. The wavelength is too long.

> Wrong.

Strange, Craig. You didn't have too much trouble understanding this concept the
one time John Shutt explained it to you. Now your mind went blank again.

> This is an issue for broadcasters too! They want to get
> MHP radios in mobile devices too,

That's why I specifically said two-way devices. Receivers have an easier time
of it, because the fixed, high power, ideally located transmitters and transmit
antennas can make up for inefficiencies in the receiver systems. Trying to make
a very low power, small battery operated transmitter work effectively with an
antenna that's not even 1/4 wavelength is not so easy. How many of the newer
cell phones do you see with even the very short whip antenna anymore? None, as
far as I can tell.

> UHHHH BERT. I think the point is that the congloms ARE
> doing it over again and Free OTA broadcasting is not part
> of their future plans.

Uhh, Craig, the point is that the congloms are using whatever pipes they can
get. It's up to the broadcasters to make their pipe appealing, and for that,
they need to convince ADVERTIZERS. The congloms simply get the money they are
asking for. The advertizers are the ones that need to be convinced by
broadcasters.

I think that the congloms themselves COULD have been more interested in their
O&Os, had the FCC not forced silly and archaic limits on them, but that's water
under the bridge. It's now up to the BROADCASTERS, not the congloms, to make
OTA TV survive. That point was completely missed in the article.

> As for who he is talking to Bert, clearly it is almost
> everyone but you.

I'm perfectly happy for a recount now, or soon. As I said before, this sounds
very much like "effecting climate change." You have enough of the clueless
repeat the mantra, and pretty soon people believe it, just because they hear it
so often. So, recount. What are you afraid of? Aside from the VHF fiasco,
digital TV became a lot better for us after June 12th, so it's certainly
premature to go chanting this "no one is watching" tune. Find out.

> In reality, TV broadcasting will survive after being forced
> to live in a smaller spectrum footprint that they will need
> to use MUCH MORE EFFICIENTLY.

If I believed in conspiracy theories, I'd say that "some govt agency" is in the
pocket of the MVPDs. The VHF 14-15 dB power cut blunder and the caps that apply
to broadcasters but not to MVPDs being just part of the master plan.

The broadcasters should put on a super magnanimous act, and "offer back"
Channels 2-13 for cell phone service. For nothing. Imagine all the good will
that would generate at the FCC.