[opendtv] Re: Opinion: Putting A Price Tag On TV Spectrum

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:17:13 -0500

We've seen most of those points made already. I'll pick a few apart.

"That's the 294 MHz of rich, fertile bandwidth that iPhone users (and the network engineers they bug most) dream about morning, noon and night."

Is this true, or is this the same old technically-challenged rhetoric like the rhetoric of "effecting climate change"? The spectrum used by TV, especialy now that the 700 and 800 MHz bands have been given up, is hardly ideal for mobile two-way devices. The wavelength is too long. It would be more ideal for fixed broadband RF service. Too bad he went for the more trendy iPhone hype to make this point.

Wrong.

Clearly as we move to lower frequencies, antenna length becomes an issue. But the propagation characteristics are better at these frequencies than in the higher bands that are currently used for mobile wireless. The biggest benefit is that the UHF bands currently occupied by broadcasters penetrate buildings much better than higher frequency bands.

This is an issue for broadcasters too! They want to get MHP radios in mobile devices too, and thus the same antenna issues are raised, whoever uses the current broadcast spectrum.

Might as well get used to it Bert. IF broadcasting survives it will by necessity become a wireless service again optimized for mobile/handheld devices (fixed devices are welcome too). Fixed broadband is a potential market as well, that is less sensitive to antenna issues, but there is less demand for this service.

What? What do "broadcasters" have to do with ESPN, CNBC, or FX, or "you've still got good shows"? I thought those were CONGLOMS, not broadcasters. Sure, congloms can piggyback their stuff over other folks' cable, satellite, 3G, or other type of networks. Who is he talking to? The congloms that have already sold off their OTA assets (preaching to the choir), or the broadcasters whose survival is the OTA delivery pipe?

UHHHH BERT. I think the point is that the congloms ARE doing it over again and Free OTA broadcasting is not part of their future plans.

As for who he is talking to Bert, clearly it is almost everyone but you. The viewing public has moved on, leaving only a handful of laggards behind.

"But no one is watching your off-air-only channels."

Maybe he isn't. Didn't we see a news item that claimed that OTA viewership had increased since analog shutoff? The dust has hardly settled on DTT, so it's time for a recount.

A blip.

"The carriers are starved for airspace, and you're way long in the stuff."

Not true, from recent articles we've read. It's all a tradeoff. Carriers can also make better use of their spectrum by creating smaller cells, which they have to do anyway to accommodate two-way devices at higher spectral efficency. More spectrum is only a partial solution. Use a search engine and look up "femtocells."

Spectrum propagation characteristics are a major consideration as well. This is why the carriers are so hungry for the spectrum that broadcasters are using so inefficiently.

"At the same time, it should provide a mechanism to supply the 10 million households not having a cable or satellite subscription with free broadcast video service for five or 10 years."

Ah yes. Lull people into complacency with a new entitlement program, so they too can become dependent on another monthly subscription fee.

Just one of many ideas.

In reality, TV broadcasting will survive after being forced to live in a smaller spectrum footprint that they will need to use MUCH MORE EFFICIENTLY. There will still be a free OTA lifeline service for folks like you, but more important, if it is done right it will serve "the rest of us" as well via mobile devices.