[opendtv] Re: Once again The Ten Commandments is on ABC tonight in stunnig 4:3

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken (Webmail)" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:18:12 -0500 (EST)

~ 1.48 (1.472 / 0.997) based on the numbers provided.

FROM: <http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml>
**********************
VistaVision
1.66:1 aspect ratio
1.85:1 aspect ratio
2.0:1 aspect ratio

This system was a lot looser than others, allowing for a bit more fudging. But
Paramount's specs always referenced a preferred A/R of 1.85:1. All VV prints
were hard matted to around 1.66:1 to allow some flexibility in framing.

VistaVision movies were filmed with a specially designed camera which was
mounted on its side. This special filming method required a special projector,
but its image quality was better than standard 35mm.

Movies that are shot in VistaVision were photographed on a double width frame
of 35mm running right to left horizontally. The films were
generally "reduction printed" to 35mm 4-perforated (four sprocket holes per
frame) in dye-transfer Techniclor and projected with a 1.85:1 ratio. The image
area was extracted optically from the full frame. For some special venues the
double-frame 35mm film was cropped to 1.85:1 during projection. VistaVision
movies include "Vertigo", "North By Northwest", and "White Christmas".
**********************

I don't know anything on this subject other than what I find on-line...
(sometimes dubious at best I realize...I find myself often quoted on other
subjects...what am I to believe? )

Quoting Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >What makes you think that is the correct aspect ratio?
> >
> >I didn't say it was correct, just much more pleasing to
> >watch on a 40 inch 16:9 TV because it makes full use of the TV
> >screen,
> >
> Well, if that's the criterion, then since the VAST majority of TV sets
> in the U.S. are 4:3, a narrower aspect ratio makes full use of many more
>
> screens.
>

> >All this is to say that there is much more that could have been seen of
>
> >the original film on ABC tonight if they had
> >played the DVD I was running and making scene by scene comparisons
> with.
> >There would have been more of the original frame, and greater detail
> >overall by playing the DVD.
> >

> As I pointed out in my correction to my message, the "original frame" of
>
> a VistaVision movie is much closer to 4:3 than to 16:9.  The
> specification was 1.472 x 0.997 inches.  That's 1.42:1.  4:3 is 1.33:1.
>
> 16:9 is 1.78:1.  The DVD, by truncating the top and bottom, offers much
> LESS of the original frame than a 4:3 extraction would by truncating
> tiny amounts of the sides.  In fact, VistaVision vertical "flat" release
>
> prints had a full 4:3 aspect ratio.  All other aspect ratios truncated
> top and bottom.
>
> Only if ABC somehow started with a widescreen extraction and truncated
> the sides would they have offered less of the original frame.  Your next
>
> comment suggests they may have done that.
>
> >What ABC aired showed about 1/3 less of the frame horizontally than is
> >on the DVD, and what is
> >on the DVD is certainly not the entire original 8 perf  2:1 VistaVision
>
> >camera negative frame.
> >

> If so, then I share your condemnation.
>
> TTFN,
> Mark