[opendtv] Re: Once again The Ten Commandments is on ABC tonight in stunnig 4:3

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:17:03 -0500

shlampen@xxxxxxx wrote:

>One of my favorite bits of trivia is: what was the first movie shot in
>VistaVision
>and what was the last? I've put the answers that I believe are correct (never
>state
>a certainty around Mr. Schubin) backwards below:
>

>FIRST:  (1491) samtsirhC eithW
>LAST:  (7791) sraW ratS

Well, "White Christmas" was certainly the first movie shot and released
in VistaVision, but that was released in 1954, not 1941 (maybe you're
thinking of "Holiday Inn"?).  The earlier "Shane" was sometimes
projected in VistaVision, and there's a possibility the process was
tested on it.

I'm not sure which movie was the last to be truly shot in VistaVision
(principal photography).  It might have been "My Six Loves" in 1962.

Your reference to "Star Wars" is worthy, because ILM resurrected
VistaVision cameras for use in the special effects for that movie (but
not for principal photography).  Having shown what they could do,
however, ILM opened the flood gates, and many movies since then have
used VistaVision for effects -- as best I know some might still do so.

TTFN,
Mark