[opendtv] Re: Once again The Ten Commandments is on ABC tonight in stunnig 4:3

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:19:29 -0500

>What makes you think that is the correct aspect ratio?
>
>I didn't say it was correct, just much more pleasing to
>watch on a 40 inch 16:9 TV because it makes full use of the TV
>screen,

Well, if that's the criterion, then since the VAST majority of TV sets
in the U.S. are 4:3, a narrower aspect ratio makes full use of many more
screens.

>All this is to say that there is much more that could have been seen of
>the original film on ABC tonight if they had
>played the DVD I was running and making scene by scene comparisons with.
>There would have been more of the original frame, and greater detail
>overall by playing the DVD.

As I pointed out in my correction to my message, the "original frame" of
a VistaVision movie is much closer to 4:3 than to 16:9.  The
specification was 1.472 x 0.997 inches.  That's 1.42:1.  4:3 is 1.33:1.
16:9 is 1.78:1.  The DVD, by truncating the top and bottom, offers much
LESS of the original frame than a 4:3 extraction would by truncating
tiny amounts of the sides.  In fact, VistaVision vertical "flat" release
prints had a full 4:3 aspect ratio.  All other aspect ratios truncated
top and bottom.

Only if ABC somehow started with a widescreen extraction and truncated
the sides would they have offered less of the original frame.  Your next
comment suggests they may have done that.

>What ABC aired showed about 1/3 less of the frame horizontally than is
>on the DVD, and what is
>on the DVD is certainly not the entire original 8 perf  2:1 VistaVision
>camera negative frame.

If so, then I share your condemnation.

TTFN,
Mark