[opendtv] Re: Olympics HDTV

  • From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:20:22 -0500

It is the TEMPORAL rate of film that adds the majority of the film look.
When you take the Panasonic variable rate progressive camera and crank it
down to 24 Hz, it suddenly looks like "film."  Pixel counts the same, only
the frame rate changes.  Very strange look below 15 Hz (you see spirits
walking around).  TV look at 30 Hz.  Very noticeable change at 54 Hz -
720p/60 looks better than it should because of 60p.  720/50p does not look
nearly as good as does 60p.  SWL