[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:31:41 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrte:

> The same can be said about broadcasting - and the big stick
> model is horribly inefficient in terms of spectral reuse.

Craig, you can keep repeating this same mantra year after decade, but it's not
more profound now than it was last century.

The big stick model is not horribly inefficient at all, WHEN you have to cover
large market areas and leave no holes in coverage between markets. As a matter
of fact, I have shown you countless times how SFNs are used in practice, in the
few European cities that have SFNs. SFNs cover single markets, and DO NOT
appreciably change anything wrt spectrum reuse. The most recent example being
the two-tower SFNs used in Rome, for the UHF transmitters, post analog shutoff.
They might make reception a little easier (were it not for the very low power),
but in practice, that frequency is tied up just as it would be with a big stick.

I have shown where very wide area SFNs are a pain to run well. They require
very many towers and cause high probability of interference zones, which will
vary with weather and other atmospheric gliches.

Big sticks, potentially supported by on-channel gap fillers or very low power
translators, are a PERFECTLY viable solution for broadcast TV coverage in these
parts.

> Sorry Bert, but with IP Multicast, telco networks are far
> more spectrally efficient than ATSC MHP for video delivery.

You mean cellco? Guess what, Craig? Cellco networks are the big stick model
scaled down, and they are scaled down only because they have to support the
high count of two-way unicast links. Cellco nets are scaled down translator
nets, Craig, not SFNs. They are simply designed to a different set of criteria,
and they take a lot more manpower to keep running for a given coverage area.

> The reality Bert is that most people DO NOT want to watch the
> stuff that broadcasters are delivering on their mobile
> devices. Most of us are not watching this stuff at all.

Whatever TV they are watching on mobile devices is more efficiently sent using
broadcast, Craig, even if that means using local storage. And I'm sorry that
you feel so compelled to tell us how no one watches broadcast TV, when all the
stats we see continue to contradict this.