[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:35:34 -0800

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What a colossal weaste! It's also possible to bypass the small cells, and
>> use existing broadcast frequencies for broadcast, and instead use the small
>> cell structure for the two-way unicasts it's optimnized for.

And on another note it is important to point out that client-side
player engines are being implemented these days with disconnection
resilience for unicasting. So migration between cell towers or a
complete drop of signal does not have any effect on the viewing
experiencing (until the buffer runs out, that is). Previously, players
would rebuffer given any sort of outage. FWIW I'm specifically
referring to the upcoming Flash releases (10.1). Silverlight has no
penetration for mobile devices.

Cheers
Kon