[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:37:03 -0500

At 8:59 AM -0800 2/1/10, Kon Wilms wrote:

You need to lighten up, Craig. Interestingly, your last phrase is
spoken like a true 5% market Apple fanboy.

Spoken like someone who is growing concerned...

;-)

And what 5% market are you talking about?

Not MP3 players...

Not Smart Phones...

And certainly not computers...

Apple has 91% of market for $1,000+ PCs, says NPD

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/Apple-has-91-of-market-for-1000-PCs-says-NPD/1248313624

The important take away here are the Apple's market share is growing along with their margins, while the PC world is racing to the bottom with cheap netbooks.

Apple did not invent the tabletpc. However, they certainly did limit
it and make it look pretty.

Maybe these are important characteristics. Who Knows?

Clearly the Tablet PC market has not set the world afire (something like 110,000 units last year).

The first hard drive based iPod was limited too, as was the market for MP3 players. Along the way Apple has sold 250,000,000 iPods, has become the largest retailer of music in the world, and is now moving the customer base to the iPod Touch, iPhone and "perhaps" the iPad.

Here let me revise that then - the iPad is an iPod Touch Jumbo Edition.

Among other things yes. Are you suggesting this is as good as it gets?

There were all kinds of nay sayers when I bought Version 1 of the iPhone. No removable battery, no this no that...

Nearly three years later the battery still works like it did from day one. I enjoy the same software as those who have purchased a new 3GS. And did I mention it fell off the back of my truck at 55mph. The phone it replaced broke into pieces when I dropped it while making a call...

There's a reason Apple has fan boys, just as there are reasons that Microsoft, Adobe, Sony et all have their fans.

Apple is now a consumer electronics company. Microsoft and Adobe are still stuck in the computer industry, and Sony is laying off people around the planet.

In order to drive computing to new platforms they need to be more
flexible than our existing and limited desktop platforms. A walled
garden vendor-lock-in-model app store device is not going to do that
in the long run. Put that in your futurist pipe and smoke it.

I assume you are talking about flexible screen PCs that can be rolled up?

;-)

Oh, I forgot, Microsoft never tried to lock anyone into their platform...

At least until Vista.