[opendtv] Re: News: Signal Trouble at Freedom Tower

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:27:52 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Hmmmmmmm...
>
> Could it be that New York area broadcasters now understand that any
> future they have may include the ability to deliver bits to things
> that move, and that a distributed transmission network will:
>
> 1. Be cheaper to build
> 2. Provide better coverage and access for mobile devices

Not by what's written in the article it can't.

Here are the key sentences that explain why they are balking:

"Since, technological changes in the industry-including a switch from
analog to digital broadcasting-have lessened the need for a new major
antenna in Lower Manhattan. Already, there are two buildings where
owners say they can accommodate all the television broadcasters in the
city on their antennas: Wien & Malkin's Empire State Building and the
Durst Organization's 4 Times Square.

"'We've got a tremendously robust system,' said Tony Malkin, president
of Wien & Malkin. 'Every single broadcaster will be supported.'"

[ ... ]

"Still, the MTVA's president, Saul Shapiro, said that there are
technical benefits of having an antenna at the World Trade Center, and
the group is still in talks with the Port Authority for a deal of some
sort. "We have not ruled out going to the Freedom Tower," he said,
declining to comment on specifics about the discussions.

"However he did acknowledge that some MTVA member stations have pushed
back against a new downtown antenna, in part due to the large investment
needed. [ ... ]"

So, here's the summary, Craig. The new site was too expensive. The
existing antenna sites are plenty good enough for DTT, even if they are
not ideal for the soon-to-be-eliminated analog TV.

And finally, the benefits of SFNs continue to be overhyped, and the
disadvantages continue to be ignored, by the mainstream press.