[opendtv] Re: News: Signal Trouble at Freedom Tower

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:33:13 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You are the only person I know that continues to
> tell us that the advantages of a distributed
> transmission infrastructure are over hyped.

Careful with the semantics.

1. "Distributed transmission infrastructure" includes translator nets, which
can certainly be made to work well. I even proposed you a true broadcast
cellular scheme some time ago, in which receivers would automatically change
frequencies as they travel between cells. And these also include low-powered
gap fillers, used in combination with a single big stick, which can also work
quite well.

2. I've shown on many occasions what real world TV broadcast SFNs look like,
and they bear very little resemblance to most of the fantasies I see described
here.

3. The credible sources of information on this subject, including the IEEE, the
French TNT paper I quoted from, the BBC, not to mention our own Dale Kelly, are
all much more careful with making unbridled claims for SFNs than are the
innocent.

> Based on this I suspect that the New York
> broadcasters are going to do nothing, and live with
> the limitations of the two existing sites. Not
> because they are "good enough," but rather, because
> they are the cheapest way out...

Just like most of the world's broadcasters.

Actually, there was a plan to create a SFN in NYC, and a test with two towers,
two years ago. I remembered the article and found it for you:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/17696

Notice the use of one big stick, supported by low powered gap filler-type
sticks, OR the use of two closely spaced big sticks in the SFN. Hardly a forest
of small "cell towers."