[opendtv] Re: News: Signal Trouble at Freedom Tower

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:01:59 -0400

At 5:33 PM -0400 4/11/09, Albert Manfredi wrote:
. I've shown on many occasions what real world TV broadcast SFNs look like, and they bear very little resemblance to most of the fantasies I see described here.

This is because you refuse to listen and turn what is said into your own fantasies.

Just like most of the world's broadcasters.

Actually, there was a plan to create a SFN in NYC, and a test with two towers, two years ago. I remembered the article and found it for you:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/17696

yes, I am well aware of this test as well as tests doen in the '90s by ABC. All of these tests indicate that a small network of transmitters (i.e. 4-5 locations on buildings or relatively "short" towers would be adequate to cover the NYC metropolitan area, and that this would be cheaper than the Freedom Tower big stick, and would provide better reception across the region.

Notice the use of one big stick, supported by low powered gap filler-type sticks, OR the use of two closely spaced big sticks in the SFN. Hardly a forest of small "cell towers."

Once again Bert, you are the ONLY person who has talked about a forest of small cell towers. I have consistently talked about a small network of medium powered transmitters (10 to 50 KW) on buildings and towers that need be no more than 500 ft. above average terrain.