[opendtv] Re: News: No End in Sight to Supply of Cheap TV's

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:17:12 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The following NYTimes article has an interesting
> conclusion regarding small TV displays and HDTV...

I think the premise that the digital tuner is
meant primarily for HDTV is what's wrong. Digital
is the next general purpose TV standard, which
includes, but is not exclusively for, HDTV.

Just as FM radio back in 1948 was to accommodate
hifi audio, as well as cheaper radios. My father
bought a Zenith tabletop radio with FM in 1948
that was certainly not hifi. So this concept was
already well understood that long ago.

Quoting from the NYT article,

> The low end of the television market will be
> shaken again as the government phases in a
> requirement that all new sets have tuners that
> can receive digital broadcasts. All sets over 13
> inches will need digital tuners by 2007. This
> digital tuner, mainly meant for high-definition
> televisions, will add several hundred dollars in
> cost, at least at first, to sets so small that
> they cannot display high-definition signals
> effectively. Still, manufacturers like TCL are
> expecting a new market to emerge in small digital
> sets.

If there's anything interesting about how these
tuners are evolving, it is that the emergence of
SD-output decimating tuners has not yet
materialized. There's no reason to go in assuming
that any DTT tuner *must* provide HD outputs, and
yet the economics of building SD output front ends
may never make much sense. Or perhaps they will get
built for smaller sets, without any fanfare. Time
will tell.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/04/business/worldbusiness/04tele.html?oref=
=3Dlogin&th