[opendtv] Re: News: NBC chief says Apple 'destroyed' music pricing

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 09:21:39 -0800

I'll concede the feudal system for talent, but who cares?

Have you seen the ads on TV for the new studio album by the Eagles?  It's a
double-cd set.  It sells for $11.88.  You can only get it at Wal-Mart.

Somehow, the rock group with Don Henley and what's his name have released an
album that is only available at Wal-Mart.  I suspect that no record label is
involved, but I forgot to check on Saturday, when I made my semi-annual trip
to wally world.

Sure, the Eagles aren't at the top of their commercial game.  But one
doesn't need to have read very much in the last two or three months about
artists at the top of their game who have opted out of the feudal system.
One will let you download their new album, after you pay a $1.95
qualification fee, for whatever you want to pay.

So, you either missed or don't care about the wind-shift.  It will gather
power, and may either change direction a bit, but the wind has shifted.

I believe in the ability of companies and individuals to contract, absent
any anti-competitive behaviour.  You chose to whine about the effects.
Boo-hoo.

I also believe that companies should be free to decide how best to exploit
their monopolies (in the content that they own) in individual countries.
You choose to whine about that, and you seem to believe (falsely) that
somehow increases the low costs you pay.

If the costs are too high, I would offer that you should find something else
to do with your entertainment dollars.  Books are rather cheap, and I
understand that fish in a small aquarium is a reasonable emulation for
television set.  If you want a 62" (diagonally measured one) you might need
a strong table upon which to place it.

Nobody controls what you watch, aside from you.  But, you blame others.
Boo-hoo. You have options; life is too short to blame others for your
choices.

John Willkie

P.S.  They survived the vcr because they don't have the politicians in their
pockets.  If they did, their (several) attempts to overturn the betamax
decision would have been successful.  Also, I should note, they don't all
believe the same thing, and even filing the Betamax decision was
controversial in Hollywood.  Perhaps you didn't know this because you
weren't reading the LA Times daily at the time, perhaps it's because such
things don't support your raison d' etre.  Old whine in old bottles.