[opendtv] Re: News: NBC chief says Apple 'destroyed' music pricing

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:37:05 -0800

That's an interesting point, Craig.  One key difference is that most
airlines (the least profitable ones) have union contracts, and cable
companies have -- more and more -- replaced employees with subcontractors
that wear their uniforms and answer their telephones.

It doesn't seem to go very far, since the major cost of airlines is fuel and
empty seats, and the major cost of cable seems to be debt financing.  Fuel
varies in price more than financing.

Southwest Airlines is an outlyer; they lease planes, have union contracts
and are usually profitable.  Hard to find a similar case in cable.

However, whether they know it or not, it's very important for any business
to generate profits.  Imagine what happens when you are just making do on
cash flow, and then the regulator rears up it's head, eats your breakfast
and lunch, and then your creditors get dicey about your ability to repay the
debt.

It's not unlike the situation that faced Western Union a few decades ago.
They were the alpha dog in the communications business. Now, it's a way to
send money using other people's telephone lines.

John Willkie