[opendtv] Re: News: If There's a High-Definition TV in Your Future, Wait Till After the Holidays

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 07:25:31 -0400

At 11:22 AM -0400 9/3/07, Barry Brown wrote:
So do you agree or disagree with these statements from the article:

"What the chart shows is that, for a 50-inch screen, the benefits of 720p vs. 480p start to become apparent at viewing distances closer than 14.6 feet and become fully apparent at 9.8 feet.

Agree

For the same screen size, the benefits of 1080p vs. 720p start to become apparent when closer than 9.8 feet and become full apparent at 6.5 feet. In my opinion, 6.5 feet is closer than most people will sit to their 50" plasma TV (even through the THX recommended viewing distance for a 50" screen is 5.6 ft). So, most consumers will not be able to see the full benefit of their 1080p TV."

I agree with you. The closest that people might sit to a a 50-60 inch display is about 9-10 feet. At this distance they will not be able to tell the difference between 720P and 1080P.

I have a friend who owns the 1080P version of the 50" Samsung DLP-based RPTV; I have the 720P version of the same. We agree that we cannot see any difference in detail level on these displays at "normal" viewing distances. In fact, I can't tell much difference at any distance, but I credit this to the fact that there is no additional detail to see in HD sources that have been compressed for emission. My friend says that he senses a bit more "pop" in his display. This may have to do with the further suppression f the raster thanks to the higher pixel density DLP chip. There are benefits to display oversampling...

I believe if people are trying to emulate a theater experience at home, they will sit closer (THX recommendations) or get larger screens.

Larger screens. Anything less than 60 inch is problematic for home theater, as most people will not sit close enough to smaller displays to adequately cover their field of view, a prerequisite for the "HD Home Theater Experience." Most of the "real" home theater set-ups I have seen are projection based in dedicated darkened rooms with screens that are at least 72 inch diagonal.

Thanks for discussing this Barry.