[opendtv] Re: News: Consumers Upgrade, but to Smaller TVs

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:10:10 -0400

At 12:26 PM -0400 8/16/08, Tom Barry wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 It is important to note that the average size (25"-27") and sales price
 (< $300) of TV receivers in the analog world, would ultimately impact
 the sales of new digital ready displays (note that I did not say HD
 ready). We are now entering that phase of the transition.

I always thought HD Ready meant the TV could accept an HD signal, not that it displayed it in any minimum resolution. But by that token I'd expect almost all new TV's to be at least HD Ready.

Meanwhile the cost of 720p LCD flat panels has come down enough that I'd also expect even your average 25"-27" TV to be at least that resolution.

720p resolution may not be needed for viewing at whatever average distance by the average consumer but it does make it look a lot better when standing close to evaluate a new TV.

- Tom

Tom is correct, that all sets can display HD signals and that even smaller sets have HD sample density. But I refuse to go along with the notion that these are HD capable displays, unless they are being used in an interactive computer-like environment - i.e. a viewing distance less than 30 inch.

The ability to perceive the detail in an HD content stream is very much dependent on the screen size and viewing distance. Size matters, and the HD viewing experience in a typical family room environment requires something larger than 40 inch diagonal to BEGIN to take advantage of all of those samples.

We will continue to have a large population of TVs that are too small to display HD properly. Fortunately, this is no big deal, as most of what passes for HD content today is dumbed down to work on smaller (and 4:3) screens, and most of what Hollywood produces does not need HD resolution to work at all.

I prefer to think of sets under 30 inch as good MPEG compression filters that bury most of the artifacts.