[opendtv] Re: News: Consumers Upgrade, but to Smaller TVs

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:56:25 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> We are now moving into the mainstream upgrade phase of the
> transition to "Digital TVs." The end of NTSC broadcasts next
> year may be a factor in the shift to sales of smaller screen
> sizes, but there are many things in play here.
>
> First, the sales of big screen TVs (i.e.> 40") was largely
> driven by early adopters and those in upper income brackets
> who could afford to spend in excess of $1,000 for a new TV.
> It should have been (was?) expected that as lower income
> consumers began to upgrade the average sale price and
> screen size would come down.
>
> Second, many of the early adopters are now buying 2nd and
> 3rd flat screen TVs for other locations in the home.

I think it's interesting that the OTA analog shutoff would have a profound
impact on all the rest of TV owners, including the vast majority who should not
be affected.

Possibly, these people who are upgrading now as a result of the PSAs they see,
or the big banners at Best Buy, are buying TVs more or less as large as their
current analog sets. And that as they notice the much better image quality,
they might get the idea that bigger would work really well.

> It is important to note that the average size (25"-27") and
> sales price (< $300) of TV receivers in the analog world,
> would ultimately impact the sales of new digital ready
> displays (note that I did not say HD ready). We are now
> entering that phase of the transition.

The VAST majority of these new smaller sets of late (past year or two) appear
to be fully HDTV. Why not, if the price delta has become insignificant? LCD 19"
HDTVs are going for