[opendtv] Re: NBC's Reitmeier to head ATSC board

  • From: "nat ostroff" <nostroff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:07:36 -0500

Bravo Dale and Craig...

How about the monkey business over the 8VSB/COFDM "flyoff" run by NAB and
MSTV. It was rigged to kill any COFDM consideration. The data showing the
serious "mistakes of technique" were presented to the sponsor groups but
were rejected at a joint meeting of NAB and MSTV Boards as coming "to late".
The "mistake" (hard to accept that it was not intentional) was the use of a
wide open high gain preamp on the COFDM receiver but a tuned front end on
the 8VSB receiver. The result was a failure of the COFDM receiver in many
locations where the poor little preamp just got overloaded by a lot of off
channel signals. The proof of the problem was when the same sites were
independantly retested with a filter in front of the COFDM reciever. When
that was done the "failed" sites produced solid reception for COFDM. Given
this evidence there was a request to, at least, retest some of the data.
That request was violently rejected and a vote to endorse 8VSB was passed.
That was the end of any real chance to allow OTA digital TV to have a future
business other than delivery from wired or satillite subscription services.

A very sad chapter in the history of free OTA TV.

Nat Ostroff