[opendtv] Re: Microsoft's Masters: Whose Rules Does Your Media Center Play By?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 19:10:30 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I agree with Tom. Microsoft is pandering to the media moguls,
>> assigning a meaning to that flag that neither the ATSC nor the
>> FCC had *EVER* envisioned.
>
> They assigned the exact meaning to the redistribution control
> flag as defined by the ATSC. In this case NBC set the flag to
> "copy never."

You have made the perfect case for some government agency having to
define the meaning of that redistribution control flag, and make it
legally binding.

The best the ATSC can do is "technological control of consumer
redistribution is signaled."

Someone not familiar with the English language might have a hard time
understanding the nuance that time-shift recording, done for the benefit
of the initial intended viewer or viewers, does not constitute
"redistribution." Which Webster's defines as "to reallocate," or to
"spread to other areas."

But that's exactly why lawyers stay employed. Microsoft should most
definitely be shown to have overstepped their bounds.