[opendtv] Re: Microsoft's Masters: Whose Rules Does Your Media Center Play By?

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 21:28:53 -0700

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> They had a choice.  Maybe they would have lost a deal of some sort but they
> were not forced by law.  They decided to please consumers a bit less and
> Hollywood a bit more.

Right because they actually want to be able to provide content to
consumers. Apple has DRM. DirecTV and Echostar have CA. Every other
operator carrying hollywood content has content protection. But let's
bash on Microsoft, right? They actually have no choice in the matter,
sadly, and politics !== the law.

> They can live with the results now as Vista sells just a bit less and Media
> Center gets a tarnished image.  Other software will record in cases where
> Microsoft software will not.  And people now know this.

Other software has no marketshare. All the other windows-based PVR
software apps are bottom-feeders in terms of market segment in the PVR
industry. They will do anything to compete, and no-one is forcing them
to implement a flag -- they aren't even on hollywood's radar scopes.

> I don't expect the broadcast flag to become law in the next few years. Do
> you?

No, and besides, anyone with the slightest technical knowledge knows
that it is a joke. :)

Cheers
Kon