[opendtv] Re: Maybe Bert will like this take on Apple...

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:27:38 -0400

You might want to read through this one too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_clones

An accurate portrayal of the situation.

It explains how much more successful Apple was at controlling and ultimately eliminating MAC clones. Part of the success came from doing radical redesigns, which did not work for IBM in the case of the PS/2.

Yes they were successful at shutting down illegal clones before the official clone program started in 1995.

I would note that the entire PC industry was undergoing major technology changes in the late '80s and early '90s. This was particularly true for expansion buses, which kept getting faster and wider to keep up with new CPU designs.

My best guess as to why it worked for Apple and not for IBM is that too many businesses and industries were heavily invested in the IBM ISA PC infrastructure, so that a radical departure from it was not appealing to them. And also unappealing was the much higher price of the PS/2, considering that the clone competition was improving rapidly as well.

IMHO it worked for Apple because they already had a viable niche market for the Mac, in large measure because the MacOS provided a reliable GUI and there was consistency among all apps.

The product that REALLY helped Apple the most was not a computer. It was the Postscript enabled LaserWritter printer that provided a good proofing mechanism for the desktop publishing industry. This came at the same time as Appletalk, a very easy to use, plug and play network for small workgroups that allowed sharing of the Laserwritter.

Apple's approach to regain the walled garden succeeded. With the new Mac designs, as I suggested previously, the faithful were always happy to oblige by going back to the fold.

FWIW, I rather liked the MC68000 family of CPUs, myself.

We can debate whether the Mac is a walled garden till the cows come home. But you cannot regain something you never lost. Apple created a legal clone program that did little to gain market share, but much to undercut the profit margins that Apple realized on Macs. One of the first things Jobs did upon his return was to shut down this program. The recent litigation against Pystar once again allowed Apple to squash illegal clones.

I too loved the 68000 family. We used early versions of the family in the GVG Model 100 which was introduced a few months after the Mac in 1984.