[opendtv] Re: Maybe Bert will like this take on Apple...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:56:55 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits/2010/08/can-you-buy-me-now.ars

> Actually I think it did a fair job on the history part; and what I
> said is not significantly different.
>
> But the article also challenges many of your pre-conceptions about
> what is open and closed, and what is likely to happen next...

It may have challenged something, but I'm not sure I noticed.

You might want to read through this one too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_clones

It explains how much more successful Apple was at controlling and ultimately
eliminating MAC clones. Part of the success came from doing radical redesigns,
which did not work for IBM in the case of the PS/2.

My best guess as to why it worked for Apple and not for IBM is that too many
businesses and industries were heavily invested in the IBM ISA PC
infrastructure, so that a radical departure from it was not appealing to them.
And also unappealing was the much higher price of the PS/2, considering that
the clone competition was improving rapidly as well.

Instead, a more gradual upgrade path, EISA and then PCI, then switched PCI,
with a mix of adapter options in the case, which changed as time moved on, was
deemed the best approach. And really, IBM be damned, in essence. Besides, with
the arrival of laptops back then, the adapter boards lost much of their
importance in the realm of "future-proofing."

Apple's approach to regain the walled garden succeeded. With the new Mac
designs, as I suggested previously, the faithful were always happy to oblige by
going back to the fold.

FWIW, I rather liked the MC68000 family of CPUs, myself.